UltraDry – an in-house developed super-hygroscopic hydrogel at the National University of Singapore (NUS) that absorbs more than 4X its own weight with water, regenerates at 50oC and performs 8X better than commercial desiccants. Applications so far investigated, range from keeping enclosed spaces dry, preventing the formation of ‘container sweat’ to keeping rooms thermally comfortable!!
- Absorbs enormous amount of water from humid air – Absorbs more than 4 times its own weight with water
- Regenerates easily at low temperatures of about 50°C – the lowest regeneration temperature
- Performs 10 times better than Silica gel (in terms of water absorption capability)
- Ability to bring down humidity in an enclosed space at a much faster rate
- Transparent in dehydrated state and turns opaque on moisture absorption
- Super-Hygroscopic nature
Change in Relative Humidity of an enclosed space
Excellent properties as a dehumidifier and for water harvesting applications
Absorbs more than 4X its own weight with water and regenerates at low temperatures of 50oC – This unique combination makes it an effective material for dehumidification and water harvesting applications.
Comparison of maximum water absorption capability and desorption temperatures of some of the desiccants
Water absorption rates for different surface area coating of the hydrogel
Putting humidity to good use
Moisture induced changes in physical properties of the hydrogel facilitates application of the material in applications that harness ambient humidity for practical use.
Stability and Reusability
Great stability of the material. Tested for more than 1000 absorption/desorption cycles.